Sunday, May 3, 2009

In Whose Name?



The other night ,my husband and I watched "The Exorcism of Emily Rose".I had seen it before.It is not as frightening as "The Exorcist" but it is not a fun movie to watch.

The priest who performed the exorcism was charged with negligent homicide because the possessed young woman died while in his care.The movie is based on a true story that happened in Germany.Apparently, the girl's grave has become a pilgrimage site visited by the faithful and the curious.

I thought of this today while at Mass.The reading of the Acts of the Apostles for the day was Acts 4:8-12......"In the power of that name this man stands before you(healed.)This Jesus is 'the stone rejected by you, the builders which has become the cornerstone 'There is no other salvation in anyone else,for there is no other name in the whole world given to men by which we are saved."

In the Rite of Exorcism ,the priest prays this: "We drive you from us ;whoever you may be, unclean spirits,all infernal invaders,all wicked legions,assemblies and sects in the name and by the power of Our Lord Jesus Christ."There is much more to the Rite but it is performed, from beginning to end, in the name of Jesus.

We may wish that this was not so.The story of the bloody man on the cross may be a turn-off for us.We may want to find a way to save ourselves but that is not what scripture says.

When the rubber meets the road and the spirit world separation has been breached by evil, where do you turn? By what name can we hope to get help?

3 comments:

Missy said...

You have these thoughts at 7:30 a.m.? All I can do at that time is find the coffee!ent

Missy said...

Hey-you've been tagged. Go to my blog to see what I'm talking about. This will be a new challenge for you-learning to add hyperlinks!

Nancy said...

Hi, I dropped by via Missy's blog. I think the Exorcist was my all-time most terrifying movie that I ever watched! For months afterward if the music came on the radio, I would turn it off. I still don't do devil movies.

Welcome to bloggyworld!