Tuesday, December 22, 2009

more of the Light


Last night, while I was reading in bed,two friends came to the door.I have known Greg and Karen for at least 30 years.They came holding a beautiful rose and a note from our church .They came because they are part of the ministry of our church that brings a rose at Christmas to those who have lost a family member during the year.

Karen brought a rose in 1996, at this time of year,the year my Mother died.That gesture was so comforting.It said," You are not alone in this sadness.Your church family loves you."That is what I felt.And so Karen has been doing this for at least 14 years.

Last night, I could see the fatigue in her eyes as she had just come home from a family funeral in Wisconsin and has yet to finish her Christmas chores and still she came.Again.This is the Body of Christ.This is the Light that came that the darkness shall never overcome.

I wish that my sister, who loved beauty ,could see this rose and know that she is remembered by me, her family and strangers she never knew.

3 comments:

Eosemary said...

What a beautiful outreach she has!

Missy said...

That is so nice!

georgia peach said...

Yes, her ministry is beautiful and there are a few more that do this.They also provide food in the hall after funeral masses for the families.The Body of Christ.