Sunday, October 16, 2011

light


I have a special feeling for the word "light".It may be my most loved word.Perhaps it's because the days are getting shorter now that I think of this.

Do you have a word that when you see it or hear it ,you feel yourself lean inwardly towards it ?Light....warmth....clarity...focus...
tending toward to the good...

My sister died three years ago on the Feast of St.Lucy,December 13.She was a martyr whose name Lucia means light.My older sister suffered from life-long depression and that word brings a different feeling.It feels heavy,life-less,grey.A rainbow would be grey without light.I am so comforted that her death fell on this feast.As she left this world,she must have seen what so many near death sufferers see,the light at the end of a tunnel.

I think of the enchanting colors of that troubled painter,Van Gogh and how he brought this shining not only with his art but with his many works of charity.I think that angels are all light that our clouded vision cannot see;they are bright shimmering beings because they are only about reflecting the Light.We are dimmer beings.

A letter from a dear friend fits this theme perfectly.She had been given a box of wonderful chocolates by a friend while she spent time in the hospital visiting her husband.She savored the thought of the deliciousness for hours until she was leaving the hospital.There stood the security guard who had kept them safe for days and she handed him the box and thanked him.His smile filled the Florida night sky,she said.

Shine.

2 comments:

Missy said...

Interesting......

Anonymous said...

Lovely thoughts--flowing from a Light-filled heart and mind.

My special word is GRACE--God's unmerited favor shed upon us. God's Word says: "For by (God's) GRACE are ye saved through your faith; Grace is the gift of God, not of our works lest any man should boast." (Ephesians 2:8-9)

What a comfort to my struggling soul! When I think of this GRACE, it gives me such a secure, warm, loved feeling... as the words of the hymn express: "O Grace that will not let me go, I rest my weary soul in thee."