Saturday, March 16, 2019

Do not soil the moments..New Zealand

Dancer in a Floral Forest-Natalie Buske Thomas


Today's reading in Matthew speaks of loving your enemies. How impossible is that? How do we get there? The other day, out of nowhere, a thought came that might give me a clue to understand this unreachable command.

If I believe that the Creator forged and called into being the world and everything in it, that must include time.Yes, minutes, hours, this moment, this day, all time.And if that is the case, this minute belongs to Him. And? So if this is God's minute, how would He expect me to spend it? This may not be news to anyone but me, but it has changed my thinking so much.

The other day, I was expecting someone to come for the week-end for spiritual direction.When this dear soul comes, I try to have flowers in the room she uses.There were daffodils out there and I knew she would relish the bright yellow of these spring blessings. But I wanted to do something else. Then: if in fact, this is God's time, how would He have me spend it. Off I went to pick.

And if these minutes have been His all along and I am just gifted with them, wouldn't I be grateful in each of them? Yes, grateful.

The Welsh painter Gwen John said this after her conversion: "Every moment is holy. Do not soil the moments".Yes, so profound, so worthy of belief. What else do I need to know ?Well, I would need to know Him in some fashion to know what He expects me to do with this time. His Word, a raft in the middle of the churning ocean that I can hang onto.

Now picture this. I am a hater, filled with self loathing, standing in the doorway of a mosque. Hating myself is so unbearable, I have to send this burden elsewhere so I am here with my weapon. I will take control of life for a few minutes and destroy because that is the only thing that makes me feel larger than a flea.Then, a small whisper in my ear: "These few moments are mine. I am a Creator and I want you to be as well. I love you and all those around you.I have a better plan. Follow me."The prayers continue in the mosque, I wipe my tears away and walk slowly out into the sunshine.

2 comments:

Missy said...

Love this piece of art....so joyful! Also love the quote and the message it gave you. Such a good reminder to think about each moment-if only we can reign in our thoughts.

patricia griggs said...

I love your new name -- Georgia Peach -- very fitting. As for this lovely story, the last paragraph confirms what saying I heard spoken in a recent retreat and it is: "paraphrasing, even if we fall behind, God loves us regardless of the mishap...therefore, we always remain holy because we are created in His holy image and likeness." Now that's a promise to behold. sincerely, your muse.