Tuesday, February 5, 2013

small steps.......






Inspiration seems to come in clusters and then,dries up for a while.But as my mentor Garnette advises ;"Just write".Put your fingers on the keys and let yourself expand.And that's how it feels.The smallness of my attention to little tasks recedes as I look out to the depth and breadth of the woods.That is eternity out there.

This all brings me to the course I have been taking on how to become a saint.It is remarkable how the culture we swim in forms my thoughts.First one:"who wants to be a saint?"But what am I doing as a Christian if that is not my goal?Then;"What will be required,probably too much?"But what I am learning is that a mere nod with trust is what is required.What that will mean will be revealed and I will be ready for it.

I should know all this but it seems that we need constant reminders of what we should be about.The life of St.Therese of Lisieux is used to help us.Her "little way",made her a saint.She wanted to be a missionary/martyr but that is not what was asked of her.Christ asked  her to love the worst, most irritating sister in her convent,and she did.How many times did she think that being shot would be easier ?


It is a revelation to know that small acts of love that we really don't want to do may be all that is required.Done from a love of Christ.

I  have set a task before myself .It is small and simple.I empty the dishwasher every night before bed no matter how I feel.Making sure the kitchen is inviting when we get up in the morning.This is a discipline for me and it came out of nowhere.I think I'm being pruned and made ready for the next thing.

How many people crave  a challenge in their lives ?Athletes know of this need.The Christian walk is a challenge and the steps may be small and unnoticed but steps they are.

2 comments:

ladydi47 said...

Absolutely beautiful...I'll pray for you when I empty the dishwasher! All day long I ask Jesus to keep holding my hand and keep being my friend...the feelings I have learned from this class are immeasurable~~~

georgia peach said...

Lady Di....I am so grateful you wrote of it...I had no idea what it was about but it seemed I was supposed to be there.A real life changer,IMO.Thank you so much...