Monday, December 10, 2018

Streams will burst forth in the desert.





His friends must have loved him. He lay on a thick mat and with ropes they hoisted his weak body up onto the roof and then down through a hole in the roof. What a sight to those gathered as he lay at Christ's feet. Eyes searching the Face. Heal me, please.

This reminded me of something that I hadn't thought of in years. It was spring break thirty years ago and I took my youngest son and his friend to the monastery in Conyers. They may have been 11 years old and ready for an adventure.

It is always there, the entrance road that leads past tall, full magnolia trees.They are the welcoming committee. The path through the trees begins the transition from the profane to the holy. From the  noise to deep silence.

On that day, as we sauntered down to the pond where the geese rule, I saw a stranger ahead. As we approached, I could see he was a young priest and his face was beaming with warmth. As we got closer, I could tell that he was wanting to talk.We sat on a bench as the boys wandered. I wish I knew his name. He shared that he was on retreat after the busy Easter doings at his church in Massachusetts.And then he began as tears filled his eyes.

It was Holy Thursday and, as he gave out Communion, he noticed an older man who had just received, standing in front of him. He was swaying and his face was awash in tears. He stood there for the longest time before returning to his pew. After Mass, the same man approach my new friend and simply said: "I can see."The man had been blind for many years as a result of diabetes and on that holy night his sight was restored. We both sat in profound silence and wonder. It was such a holy moment and for the first time, I can tell this story of healing.The paralyzed man walked and the blind man saw.

Across from the monastery is a green cemetery. Surrounded by three tall trees is the place where John and I will rest after our journey. The hill slopes a bit but it is shady and peaceful. It is here that our remains will be but..."Those whom the Lord has ransomed will return and enter Zion singing, crowned with everlasting joy; They will meet with joy and gladness, sorrow and mourning will flee." Amen.

No comments: