Friday, November 29, 2019

The Almond Trees of Provence Advent Calendar




 What is behind each of those 24 doors that lead up to Christmas ? This is after all a French calendar, so I am guessing something grand and sweet.It is a celebration of the Almond trees in Provence and I know nothing of this either. I am as excited as a child to see what this special gift will mean to me in this Advent season.

I have been reading stories of winter by different authors, those stuck up desolate North in 7 month winters and those in more moderate climes.I was looking for a theme for this Advent and a spiritual companion.The Church liturgical year ends this Sunday with a lighting of the purple candle of the Advent Wreath.We start a special season.It is my favorite.

 The theme that came through those readings is emptiness. Nature is emptying out her basket of colors, bright red roses, oranges tiger lilies, yellow swamp daisies.All are fleeing beneath the harsh 32 degree mornings. No more warm sun, just a dull, white, cold one.The waves crash without us.The trees are spare, bare, solid grey. Leaves are dun and brown; it is the Advent journey, the steps of winter to greater darkness.

 When I ask for a spiritual companion, they always appear and this year is no different.She who I have ignored all my life manged to push in and I embrace her finally. Her way to holiness is called the Little Way and it finally makes sense to me.Do small, unnoticed things with love.I can do this, dear St.Therese.I will leave it to the Spirit to find something each of those 24 days that I can do to fill the winter emptiness for someone else.

Perhaps those almond trees will require a visit someday but for now, I will write on the calendar those small acts of love as I await the indescribable one, the Incarnation.

1 comment:

patricia griggs said...

I love this endearing story, like you I relish this spell of winter-ness which I call cocooning...you inspire me to write more about this...so good to hear from you...miss you...thank you for that.