Sunday, December 1, 2019

Advent Journey-Day 1




The first door of the French Advent Calendar(see previous post)  is open and there was a small hand cream produced in Provence.A sweet surprise. In practicing Abundance, it is the surprises that I notice. While walking in the new subdivision next to us, I spotted at least ten small yellow daisy-like plants growing in the bare soil.Color! Yay!.And now a small hand cream behind a little door.


This is a quote from today's Advent reading by Henri Nouwen:  "I keep expecting impressive events to convince me and others of God's saving power...Our temptation is to be distracted by looking for them.when I have no eyes for the small signs of God's Presence-the smile of a baby....words of encouragement.....gestures of love...if I only look for the gigantic, I will always remain tempted to despair."



And so I think of the small pot containing tiny black seeds of a morning glory, gathered from a plant 6 years after the first ones appeared in stunning blue color in my garden.How did they get there ? Now they pop up in such unexpected places in my yard. Each time I spot those distinctive leaves, I feel giddy.

My small act to fill the emptiness of winter was to send this same Advent booklet that I am using with Nouwen quotes to a friend for their Advent journey. I realize that Henri and I are very much on the same page. Look, notice, the signs are there.

"Come let us climb the Lord's mountain, to the House of the God of Jacob,that He may instruct us in His ways and we may walk in His paths" Isaiah 2:3


1 comment:

patricia griggs said...

What a spectacular first day of Advent writing...so inspiring...I will look for more small surprises as December progresses...Merci beaucoup.