Sunday, December 8, 2019

Advent Journey Day 8

 


The people who walk in darkness have seen a great Light. That light flickers and then warms every Sunday at Mass. My encounters with Light bearers. The Body of Christ..

 John and I try to sit in the same spot every Sunday in OUR  pew.We all seem to do this, we who have been at this church for years.We look to see if Jennifer is there where she belongs.She waves, smiles and the candles burn brighter. While my eyes are closed praying, a friend comes by and leaves me a poem. A year ago, I didn't know this special woman, now she and I have a treasured connection.

In the back, behind us, is a friend for years. He who is the anchor of his family, always smiles from his spot as I come back from Communion. I count on it. He reads every story that I write and his LIKE on Facebook keeps me writing.

After Mass today,  I spent some time talking with a friend who is writing a book and we laugh over things that happened in our writing group last year. He always makes me smile with his understanding of the challenges of writing, he who has actually published a book..

 Today, the second purple candle was lit on the Advent wreath to mark the second week of this journey. And in the readings I seem to hear an awful lot about mountains. Holy mountains, safe without harm mountains, the mountains that shall yield peace for the people.


We could use this peace now, this image of a holy mountain that we all can stream towards together, where we will be embraced by the One who has loved us from eternity. But I am here, now and my Church community is the closest I will come to what I seek.

1 comment:

patricia griggs said...

I admire the way your different thoughts zig-zag through the entire story and end with a unifying theme...excellent! Keep going!