Saturday, December 7, 2019

Advent Journey Day 7-lavender path.

Lavender Horizon-Maria Bertran

Today's gift from the Advent Calendar is a small lavender hand cream. The scent is subtle, sweet and delicious.It makes me think of a picture I saw once of a labyrinth in California whose path was lined with deep purple lavender plants. The color lent to the curving path left me breathless.

 For some reason most of my thoughts, prayers and guidance this Advent are connected to the deceased. Merton, St.Therese, Nouwen and Isaiah. Also, lost friends and relations.My mind travels back to a walk on a plain labyrinth in a church yard in Woodstock, New York a few years ago.I took my sister with me in my mind and on the way I learned this from the Lord:" my sister hadn't felt loved one day in her life .Not one day." The cracking of my heart echoed off the surrounding mountains.How had I contributed to that feeling over the years never understanding the depression that descended on her in her 11th year?

And so I think I will take a stroll on the lavender labyrinth right now. I stop in silence at the entrance and ask God to lead my thoughts to where He wishes they go. I notice some bright white stones on the path and pick one up to take with me. It becomes warm in my palm.

At the first turn I stop, close me eyes and say this: "You were loved and still are by a good husband, five adoring daughters and by me, your little sister.I pray you rest in the arms of Love now. "Moving on, I am circling back towards the entrance.I stop again and pray this: "May the peace of Christ which knows no boundary envelope your soul this day, my friend, Michael. And may we meet again in that holy place where you already reside."..

At one curve there is a small wooden bench so I leave the labyrinth and sit down visualizing my friend Timmy next to me.He has left fear and doubts behind and is now willing to sing with me, small hymns of praise. My heart is full as I go back to the path.

One last pause where I mention all on my prayer list by name and difficulty: loss of faith, disease, homelessness, despair, poverty, addiction and so on.In my mind, I see them surrounded by angels and bathed in the golden Love of the Creator who many have been running from for years.It's all there,I can see it enfolding them in shades of gold, pink and bright yellow.They can't escape this enveloping Love.

I am at the end of the path; it is time to walk back out. Before I do,. I place the warm white stone in the center, pick a small sprig of lavender and lay it across the stone. It represents all the love I feel for the people that had walked with me." Let it go, trusting your prayers are heard," the labyrinth says. I do.

No comments: