Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Advent day 4-with a grateful heart.

Houses on a Hill-Winslow Homer

One of the great satisfactions of my life has come very unexpectedly. A writing group. This joyful gathering of women and one man who look at a piece of art and then dip into their endless pool of creativity. to find a story. It is God's work they do, bringing beauty and truth out into the world.. We all sit amazed at the miracle that is writing.

My first written blog post dealt with the death of my sister;  writing,  processing her leaving us too early. At the time, I had one follower, a childhood friend who read everything I wrote for years. Our houses were near each other in Uniondale, NY. He passed away two years ago and I miss his place at the table of my life.

I vividly recall one of his first comments: "Sharon, I like the story but you are no Ernest Hemingway." Boom. Nevertheless, my writing continued and so did his reading and in those stories he would appear from time to time. I wanted him to know what he had meant to me for 60 years. A few years later , he wrote this: "Buckle up for here is my take on your writing: your writing continues to get better and better from where I sit. I was reading the "Maltese Falcon" this a.m. while in the doctor's office and it made me think how your writing has progressed in your ability to more fully brocade your sentences and thoughts, The are so much more alive."Nov.2011

It was only yesterday when I had lunch with his lovely grown daughter, Mary, that I was able to see that without his encouragement I would never have come to start this group of writers. Every writer needs a reader. He is not here to thank and the tears that are forming tell me how much I wish I could tell him about the part he played in the great happiness of my seventh decade.Prior to meeting with his daughter, I reread some of the e-mails I saved from our friendship.I uncovered nuggets of wisdom, small gold flashes that I missed the first time. Knowing my friend, he could never handle this kind of praise and gratitude so I thank his daughter for meeting with me.Talking to her helped me to see.

"To know someone here and there whom we accord with, who is living on with us,  even in silence-this makes our earthly ball a peopled garden."Goethe


No comments: