Tuesday, April 7, 2020

An Easter Tale


A  co-incidence?

Every Easter since we moved here,  eggs have been hidden and small children have searched. In the plastic eggs were either coins, bills, candy or a scripture verse.Our two dogs, a huge happy yellow Lab, Sagan, and our smaller much loved older dog, Cooper,  were always part of the hunt. I have a picture of Sagan carrying his own Easter basket through the woods, grinning at the fun..

One year, the bright orange egg with the twenty dollar bill was nowhere to be found despite much searching.When we finally went into the TV room, noticing the door slightly ajar, there he was,Sagan happily  tearing the bill apart and smiling.Yes, dogs do smile.

In November of 2007, I noticed some blood dripping from Sagan's mouth.Off to the vet to find that he had a large tumor in his gum and a decision needed to be made.I called all of my children and after talking to them brought our dear boy home for the holidays.In those few months, I gave him treats, took him often to the park and made a memorable trip to the river where he contentedly sat gazing up at a hawk screeching above.

In January, it was time. My husband, son and I went to the vets.We went in to wait for the doctor to end Saga's life. I sat in a chair as my son stood by Sagan telling him what a good boy he was as he sat on the operating table.At one point he looked over to see if I was there.I got up and hugged him and talked softly.What if I had waited outside like my husband suggested ? He would have looked over and not seen me.

When we got home, weeping uncontrollably, we  went and hung Sagan's collar on a tree overlooking the river our dogs loved so much. I was heartbroken and barely slept that night.The next day, I sadly took our retriever for a walk along the path through the woods that we have walked for years every day. Something to my left caught my eye. It was a yellow plastic egg laying right there in the open..How could I have not seen it since last Easter?.I picked it up wondering if the chocolate was moldy or how many coins were in it.

I doubt you will believe this but on that sad, awful day, out of all the things that egg could have contained, rolled up like a gum wrapper, was the comfort of a small note with my most favorite verse from Scripture.:

"Surely goodness and kindness shall follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever." Psalm 23.  

1 comment:

patricia griggs said...

What a charming and touching Easter story to share with the world. Yes, our pets almost become human companions. I have had to let go of Sidney, Prince & Maxie, Brick and Haba, now I cherish Coco-Ranger and Lema.