Thursday, July 21, 2022

This new Camino


 













  "A pilgrim does not demand. A pilgrim is grateful. A good pilgrim is she who listens to the stones talk. A roof to sleep under, a puddle to wash in, bread to eat, and a Camino to walk. Each pilgrim walks their own Camino. If you get blisters, bless them. Amen"

 I found this prayer the other day and it gave me hope that the way I am walking this new unwanted path is O.K.

I was astounded the first time I saw John kneel at a stone cross at the beginning of our 500 mile walk to Santiago in Spain. He did this at every cross we encountered and he told me later he prayed for health, safety and to keep going. His very public display impressed me. And the things he prayed for , we experienced. Pilgrims had to leave the path because of sickness or bleeding feet, We did not. A few people were killed crossing a highway, we were safe. And although we only walked 175 miles, we did reach Santiago and the Mass at the end, we kept going.

I found a small envelope in John's desk and inside was his Camino shell. I found mine and attached them to two walking sticks. I put them in the corner of the porch under a cross and each morning I do what my beloved did, kneel and pray for health, safety and to keep going. And for John.

For awhile I wondered what I was doing, did it make sense. Maybe doubting yourself is part of grief along with everything else .Then I found this in a book a dear friend sent: "In my hour of grief, rituals found me, They became signposts for me along the difficult path I was walking .Rituals helped me to realize that I was not alone, and I was not lost. I was simply in a strange new land." "A Hole in the World."

I have a roof, bread, I am not alone, and I am listening to the stones. I am grateful.






No comments: