Thursday, April 7, 2011

a penny for your thoughts



Photo by Kris


"They made a calf at Horeb
and worshiped a cast image.
They exchanged the glory of God
for the image of an ox that eats grass.
They forgot God, their Savior
who had done great things in Egypt."Ps 106:19-21

Well, that's a relief.Never have a made a statue and praised it as God.But wait,wait a minute,when have I put people and their approval or things and their acquisition ahead God?

Several years ago, when my kids were young teens,things were getting out of hand.They weren't helping with anything around our home and my husband and I were drained and exhausted.I called a family meeting and give each person around the table 24 pennies.We all set aside the hours/pennies for sleep,work and school and counted the ones left as our own time.There was some serious fudging going on but the point made at the end of this eye-opening exercise was that my husband didn't have even a half penny for himself.I don't know if things got better but he had my sympathy and support.Maybe the kids realized something.

I thought of that exercise as a worthwhile thing to do as I tout my love and service to God.'
How many hours and pennies do I spend in prayer,writing, serving,visiting the sick and home bound.The scriptures are pretty clear;I must love God with all my heart, soul and strength and my neighbor as myself.And this takes time.

At my age, time is my most treasured gift.What am I doing with it? The truth is in the pennies.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Sharon I just read this today and was thinking that last Thursday when you were posting this things in my household were in an uproar...my son is a teenager and doesn't do much to help around the house...etc, etc. gives me something to think about!

georgia peach said...

Karen, I am glad that this resonated with you.I have always been a visual person and seeing the pennies helps me to really get it.Thank you for commenting.