Wednesday, November 9, 2011

thick clouds blocked my view



photo by Dr.Clarissa Pinkola Estes



Today, an e-mail came and the word that jumped out at me was "dark".One of my faithful reader friends noted that my post brought this word to his mind.It is true and I needed to hear that because it helped me see that my mind has been absorbed these last few days by the scandals and horrific news around me.I had forgotten my blessing bowl.

I went to the woods,that place whose winds and trees cleanse me of all thought that does not do it homage.I wrote:"This day has never been before nor have these trees ever been this tall.The small acorn that just fell behind me wasn't on the slender oak last year.This is its time-today-to fall and bounce on the earth.

The woods are quiet,the floor damp; yellow streaks catch my eye as leaves drift to gently cover the acorn.The vacuum waits in the bedroom, silver in the corner as the sun hits it and I sit in the woods.What is more important,the ten pieces of dark lint on the rug or the sights of this one day that will never come again ?"

And so the bowl fills with this quiet ,this surety that the God of Jacob set this in motion.That this beauty,the red,yellow,orange leaves is his.

The Word for today says:"along the banks of the river,fruit trees of every kind shall grow,their leaves shall not fade,nor their fruit fail.....they shall be watered by the flow from the sanctuary.... their fruit shall serve as food and their leaves for medicine."....Ezec.47:12

We are being watered by this river of grace that enables this arbor to always feed, comfort and heal;that is our charge this day that will never come again.And the Lord of Hosts is with us as our stronghold.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Sharon, I know from where you have been writing, and I thank you for your kind uplifting words on my blog. I am glad that both of us can now celebrate the filling of our bowls, and the clearing of the clouds.
Bless you.
Ryan

Anonymous said...

What a timely reminder your blog today is--the problems of this world are only fleeting but the joys of life in Christ are eternal. We can't see God now, but as the Bible says "The heavens declare the glory of God, the whole world is filled with His praises." When we sit and appreciate the beauty all around us, God's glorious gifts, we are so close to Him. As close as the little birds are to their source of life (in your picture). You brought me a smile and a warm glow...thanks!