Tuesday, April 30, 2013

writing adventures..








For Easter,I gave my sweet blond granddaughter who is ten,a copy of a painting by Sisley.It is a winter scene and in it a woman is walking down a snowy lane in a city in France.I asked her to look at the painting and give me some adjectives that came to her mind.She said:snowy and peaceful.I liked those.Then I asked her to use the blank pages behind the picture to write a story about what comes to her from the picture and share those the next time we get together.Later that week ,I found out that she has been selected for an advanced reading program at her school and it all seemed to fit.

I can't wait to see what she has written.

Years ago,I wrote a story about this painting and now that alley belongs to me in a way that I cannot describe.The woman in the alley became me and so much of what I believe and cherish came through her onto the page. It is like a path that I jog on.I ,in some way, have bought that holy ground with my effort.

When you put pen to paper and just write,you are sending a feather drifting down into your soul .As it comes back up on its shiny golden string it brings with it, scenes,words,memories,all the essence of you.Henri Nouwen says,"One of the most satisfying aspects of writing is that it can open in us deep wells of hidden treasures for us as well as for others to see.".  

As I type,I think of a Christmas several years ago.McKenna,she of the reading skills, was at that time ,five years old and had a different career in mind.She came over to me and whispered that she wanted to show me something and went into her room.A few minutes later,she emerged in full ballerina costume with pink shoes, pale pink tights and a sweet fluffy tutu.We all clapped and she came and sat on my lap ,put her arms around me and fell asleep.My heart was full.

We have talked, she and I ,about how girls should have adventures ,as we walked through the cold winter fields near her house.That conversation meant something to her as she mentions it once in awhile.Now, she wants to be a mermaid and I would love to look into her mind and see what that means to her.What dream awakened the desire to swim underwater and have a beautiful shiny green fin instead of legs?I hope no one makes fun of this. Dream, sweet child of my heart.The world awaits your shining.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sharon,
I love this story about you and your granddaughter! It shows the connection you have with her and the one that she has with you. It is beautiful.
My granddaughter, Ashley, is eleven and we have also shared some very special moments together - ones I hope she keeps in her memory forever. I just explained to her last wk'end that I lived far away from my grandparents when I was growing up and how I would have enjoyed being near them.
Love and blessings,
Elaine

georgia peach said...

Thank you,Elaine...what a blessing grands are!!

Anonymous said...

Loved the photo; loved the story. The joy, pride, and great love you feel for MacKenna shine through your writing. I can picture the small one in her pink tutu asleep on your lap ^-^
Being a grandmother is truly wonderful; how wise God is to let it wait until we're old enough to truly appreciate it (ha,ha)