Thursday, May 10, 2018

out of Africa.....




The music that I am listening to makes my heart so full that I need to write.What will come, I have no idea. I am listening to the beautiful  soundtrack from "Out Of Africa "and thinking of people in my life who bring joy.

In the movie, Robert Redford takes Meryl Streep on a flight over the African plain in a small piper cub.From her seat in front of him, she sees the antelope running below;the lakes shimmer in the sunlight. She reaches back to grab his hand. What more can she do to thank him for this wonder? Listening to the music, I can see this scene and it moves me again. What can you do to thank people for their unexpected presence in your life?

My 75th birthday is coming soon and my husband, who will be out West, has bought a ticket to fly home just for that day. What a gracious gift. No words do that justice.My oldest son, busy beyond all telling, meets me for lunch monthly where we catch up, he who has always read my mind and watched out for me. Around the house are several small articles that he had given when he was a child.Where he got the money I have no clue but there they are.

When I retired in 2000, I thought I had left my friends behind but one, through grace, has stuck.She is my cheerleader as I embark on my wild adventures.We are writers and believers; those connections keep us close. I can tell her anything and she nods.I have cried in gratitude for this gift .

I have a special friend who helps with my writing group.She makes sure all my stuff is packed and helps me lug it to my car.I know writing has enriched her life and that inspires my own efforts.I count on her and her ideas.Where did she come from to bolster what I do?

A niece who, when walking down a country road said this, only this, as she felt my heartache and put her arm around me: "sweetie" and then she listened. A long ago friend who I met at 16 has found my blog and me.We share pictures and memories and what I feel from many miles away is his appreciation. I can hear him clapping his hands when I share what I am up to.Where does a gift like that come from?

To each of you, and all the others, I reach my hand back and with misty eyes, squeeze in gratitude.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am squeezing your hand in gratitude as well my dear friend!
Love you Bunches
KW

Terésa said...

I will always be there ....listening ..... such gratitude for our love, connection and times shared.... HMD sweet auntie of mine xo