Thursday, October 6, 2022

It is Worth It

 

When I strolled into that small park in Paris I had no idea my life was about to change.

It was a hot humid June morning and I was drooping from buying macrons, museum hopping and make-up shopping. When I spotted that oasis I darted across the street and entered. Ah, a bench amid the flowers and bushes.

The noise of the city, horns blaring, wheels screeching, was muted but still surrounded me. Maybe a quick prayer will calm my jangled nerves. "Jesus", I said and in a second the noise was gone. I slowly opened my eyes and found myself in a small peaceful, quiet room circled with chairs. To my left sat Francis of Assisi, then Therese, Teresa of Calcutta, Joan of Arc and finally Bernadette. I knew them right away. All sitting in the quiet as I took a chair. 

In my mind, because speech seemed an intrusion, I asked them how they persevered in the faith in this distracting, crazy world we live in. In unison I heard them say in my spirit; "Prayer." I sensed them all smiling as if they knew I knew that would be the answer.

I asked how they prayed. I heard this: 

"Constantly. Look for Him in everything. He is there. Keep Him as your special friend tucked away in your heart. Give Him everything; worries, concerns, fears, joys. Give it to Him. Mostly express your thanks , your deep infinite gratitude,  for the grace you were given that day when you asked Him into your life. He smiles at this."

Then I asked if they had anything else to tell me and this simple reply brought tears : "It is worth it." 

That day, that wonderful June day, I left the park with a new road map: Look for Him in everything, give Him everything and thank Him for everything. 

 



1 comment:

your muse said...

No surprise, this well composed story clearly came from your heart and senses. Bravo, ma Cherie!