Friday, October 20, 2023

Don't wait for joy to come to you. Postcard 6

 




In a moment of grace, I was given to understand that the Camino walk we took together in 2013 would be a perfect metaphor for this hard journey of loss. One foot in front of the other, tears expected, friends along the way that made it easier.

I think of the young Scot I walked with for a bit who had put his pain avoiding,  40 dollar socks on a clothesline only to have them taken. Plus his banana. We wound up laughing.

The postcard to the right was from a place called "Hospital Del Alma",  Soul Hospital. A small room with an open door that anyone could enter and listen to quiet music, drink tea and escape the hardship for awhile. I wrote: " Old wooden beams, a candle flickers in a purple glass, a voice chants. In front of me is an old oak table and chairs. A monk is in the garden talking to two pilgrims. Something about this place says I can do the Camino." Something about that hard walk tells me I can do this one.

There was also a poster on the wall of the front room that talks of shadow chasing, that we rush through the Camino as we do our lives. Oh yes, we do. And how we worry. I remember another elderly walker who said:" Next time I won't worry every minute whether I can do this is not." Another metaphor. What do we miss seeing as we foresee a disaster that never happens?

Our writing group walked the labyrinth again this week and I was given a guidance that had to come from Beyond." You must make joy, which is why you are here. Don't wait for it to come to you." And I write my postcard stories and feel joy. I grab a fistful of leaves, throw them in the air and I feel joy. 

So to the wind blown monk who provided this special respite in Castrojeriz, Spain, I thank you for all that I gained by walking through your door, perching in the garden, and just being with the God who must inspire your works.

And to anyone who reads this, I pray you find your Hospital del Alma today where you can just be, savor your breath and this one of a kind day...and maybe post a picture to show it.





1 comment:

memawmaw4 said...

hello, Everyone, I had my "moment of grace" just a few days ago....I was watching TV and I got up to go to the restroom....just as I turned to go down the hall to the restroom, I walked thru the scent of Floyd's aftershave....AquaVelva!!! his bottle is way back in the bathroom in our bedroom, and none of it is in this part of the house. it was only in the hall in front of this bathroom. the scent lingered a few days. also, the painting I did of Floyd's parents, in the hall outside our bedroom was cocked....it had never did that before, or since I straightened it, but two other paintings have fell off the wall since Floyd died.....I asked him if he was trying to tell me something, with no answer, but I know he is still here in the house.
Sharon, your stories about the Camino made me feel you might be feeling the same way as I am right now....I miss all of you, God be with you All!!!