Thursday, August 29, 2019

freedom




The journal is green, turquoise and brown with a gash on the cover. It bears the word tranquility. Some pages were missing when I bought it so I couldn't hand it out to a writing group member. I now have an inordinate fondness for this little book where the pages are many hues of green and blue. These pages have brought me to a different place.

After I wake up, I take my small journal to another room, close the door and offer praise with my pen. And thanks. Today, for freedom.

This June, I took my granddaughter, with my daughter- in- law and daughter, to Paris for few days. I was able to do that. My grandmother came to America from Scotland as an infant and the furthest she traveled after that was from Long Island to New Jersey. She never drove a car so the chances of her taking me anywhere was nil. She never went anywhere by herself, she had to be driven.

There are many kinds of freedom. 

On Twitter the other day, I noticed two followers, one celebrating 30 years of sobriety that very day, another, younger and, of course Irish,  telling of this impending journey to rehab for alcohol abuse. When I congratulated the veteran AA member he wrote back that his 30 years is for the newbies.To let them know they can become free.I was so touched. One is celebrating freedom from addiction, the other on his journey that way. I pray for both.

I think of the feeling of relief and yes, freedom when I have dumped my failings on the shoulders of a kind priest in Confession. When my kids were younger and we would go as a family I remember seeing them bounding around the parking lot like fawns on a Fall day, unburdened.

That scene in "Braveheart" where Mel Gibson is riding in front of his rag tag troops screaming: "freedom." For whatever freedom you need to find today, a humble prayer from me that you find it.

 This prayer started my day and I offer it.

                                                  A Celtic Prayer
                                             
                                            Life be in my speech
                                              Truth in what I say
                                      The love Christ Jesus gave
                                          Be filling every heart for me.
                                        The love Christ Jesus gave
                                            Be filling me for everyone.

No comments: