Monday, September 9, 2019

a refection on connections...





People say that one doesn't need to go to church to worship God. I get that but then I never would have met Anna and Matthew.

It was twenty years ago that I was part of the team that welcomed people coming into the Church. The day I met Linda is etched in my mind. I sat down next to her and her husband, Joe, and admired her red hair. Just a beautiful color. She quietly told me that it was a wig but the exact color of her real hair and I could tell by her fair coloring that this was true.Thus began a friendship that was limited in time.

I don't have to say why Linda wore a wig. I will tell you of her courage. Newcomers are asked to speak at the Masses after the Easter when they are baptized and Linda volunteered. I have never forgotten her words. She told a bit about how glad she was to be a member of the Church, about her health journey and then said this : "No matter what happens, I will be alright. I belong to God."

At one of the last meetings at church,  Linda invited me to visit her at home. I was glad to do so and that is when I met her grandchildren, Anna and Matthew. I think they were 5 and 7 years old. I also eventually met their mother Lora. I don't know what happened at that visit but those children became so important to me and me to them. I think they have always associated me with their beloved Grandma.

Since then, these many years, I have been hugged, kissed, patted and loved by these children and their sister Emma, who is now 13. I have always considered it a wonderful blessing to know them. And their Mom to be a great friend.

As if this wasn't enough, after this past Sunday Mass, I got to meet Matthew's little son. He looked me in the eye and as if he knew his role as a joy giver, blessed me with the biggest smile and reached out to me. Delighted isn't the right word.

It is hard to type this final paragraph but this small story is a thank you to my friend Linda who passed in 2002. She left behind a wonderful family that loves me.

No comments: