Sunday, September 1, 2019

the List




Before Mass, when I am led, I go up to the beautiful Our Lady of Guadalupe Statue to the right of the altar. She is colorful, carved of wood and unlike the Cross which hangs high from the ceiling, our Mother is reachable. So, I hold her feet and a few Sunday ago I handed her two Twitter friends, one from Canada and the other from the US. In their profiles they are both listed as atheists and in chatting with them, I know they were raised Catholic. After handing them over to Mary I heard this: "Make a list." I knew exactly what she meant, so I now have a prayer list that I use after I have written in my gratitude journal.

I have never done this before and I am being faithful to it.Somehow, I know that my prayers are being heard in a deep way. I also knew that today I would be given another name.Before Mass, a deacon came over to tell about his oldest daughter who is at Grady Hospital after a serious fall from a horse. Broken bones in the back are suspected. She is now on the list along with anyone who visits me in my dreams.

Which brings me to this day's gratitude entry. I woke up with the names of a family in my mind. They have recently lost a adult son and brother. a gifted man who owned their hearts.Why their names should appear as something to be grateful for, I had no idea but I just knew that it would become clear. And it has.

The Westbrooks are on my list. From now until forever, I will pray for them, each of them. As well as Deacon Casal's daughter. Every day, I will be alert to who should be included. It could be a person I have never met, on-line, or someone who passed away years ago. I will not filter and try to figure why. I will be open to whoever seems, in the ways of mystery, to be asking to be included. This is now my calling,  and I have been given this as a great gift. Deo Gracias.

                             May the blood of Christ wash away all that is not of Him and may we meet  one day day in Paradise. Amen.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Always so thought provoking. I'm wondering when I stopped keeping my list which I began so many years ago. Thank you for reminding me to be more mindful of those needing prayer. T

georgia peach said...

Unknown, thank you for the comment,perhaps the call is going out and you are included.

Anonymous said...

Such a holy calling, thanks for sharing it with the world!